Tuesday, January 4, 2011

More Tea Anyone?

 [Samuel Adams] argued that the Tea Party was not the act of a lawless mob, but was instead a principled protest and the only remaining option the people had to defend their constitutional rights. 
Samuel Adams1 - Wikipedia

As 2010 closed and I sit here conjecturing (there’s a unique verb for you) on 2011, it intrigues me that the American people have developed a taste for tea over other favorite “drinks” of the recent past. I know you realize I speak of something other than the refreshments we part-take of on a daily basis, but let us just continue with the analogy for the fun of it.

Last year I wrote about my fascination and reflections of all the flavors of tea. I found myself too busy to finish quarter four with details and insights about those who hate tea and want to outlaw it and those so fanatical about it they understand nothing else. But I will try to pick up where I left off and see how the current tea fascination may play out this year.

A popular flavor of the herb has made it into our US House for the next few years and seems to be making an overall commotion from the aroma before anyone has even tasted it! I think I’ll wait for a sip before any judgment of the quality. But I do like tea and hope others discover the value it has. Unlike other drinks, like strong alcohol for instance, tea has major medicinal qualities, can be used in large quantities without major complications or ill effects and without worry of developing a destructive addition.

So, as we begin this year keep track with me how the Tea Party promotes or provokes political changes and how well governance absorbs and reacts to the taste “we the people” demand they serve us; because they haven’t had to deal with the cakes, cracker and crumpets we like ... yet.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
Patrick Henry

"(T)he foundation of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality; ...the propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained..." 
George Washington, First Inaugural, April 30 1789


1 John K. Alexander, Revolutionary Politician, 129



No comments: