Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Eye Chart

The doctor asked me to read the fifth line down on the chart, “beginning with the first letter F”. I could only question him. “You mean somewhere in that white blob on the wall? I couldn’t tell you the first line was an E if I didn’t know it for fact alone.”


It was my first visit with him and he began by asking to remove my glasses and read the chart. An impossible task for me, which only took a moment for him to figure out. But it got me thinking about how I “saw” or read the political state of affairs in a magazine on his waiting room coffee table.

I’m not going to bore you here with my bio, but just need to convey some simple truths so we can connect or not. The only college degree I can claim is an associate’s degree in Industrial Trades. I took a course in American Politics as an elective to finish out the curriculum and I must say it was one of my favorite classes. But it obviously leaves me lacking greatly in proclaiming I’m some kind of political analyst.

No, I like to think of myself more as an average Joe (not a plumber, but in the maintenance field) like most of you and I believe we, collectively, see our government through a completely different set of glasses than those who are running it. If you agree, you may find my insight interesting if not useful. If you don’t, well maybe you could see something valuable in the “white blob” on the wall if you choose to look at it through a corrective pair of lenses. Now, I’m not saying you will agree with the content of the eye chart but maybe you’ll understand better why the founding fathers built it and formed it the way they did and why most Americans find issues with the progressive movement.

We will see. 8-)

No comments: